I was inspired by Gayle from The Soup Solution to make turkey bone broth. This is something I have always wanted to do but always chickened out at the last min. Gayle gave me a couple of tips and made it sound so easy that I decided to give it a go. I used the stock to make a simple turkey noodle vegetable soup, which was quick and tasted amazing!
Here is what you need:
- A large stockpot
- 2 onions quartered not peeled
- Peppercorns about 10 to 12
- Any fresh herbs you have ( I had chives, and I had seasoned my turkey with tons of fresh thyme, when I roasted it.)
- Garlic about 6 or 7 cloves
- Kosher salt to taste
- A splash of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Water ( enough to cover the turkey bones)
Everything goes in the stock pot on the stove on med until you see it bubbling.
Put the heat on low and let it simmer for 3 hours.
Strain the stock and put in the freezer.
For the soup I sautéed some veggies in coconut oil, added the cooked turkey meat and added as much stock as I wanted and let it come to a boil. I added gluten free noodles and let it boil for about 12 min. Done and ready to eat!
PS: A lot of other websites talk about skimming anything that comes to the top while simmering, to prevent cloudy stock. I did not worry about this.
PSS: Follow me on Instagram @husna_theaccidentalmommy and on Twitter @husnathompson1