All inclusive vacations are awesome when you have a little one. For me the biggest thing I am looking for on vacation is to rest my brain. I don’t want to think about groceries, laundry, breakfast, lunches and drinks. If I did I would just stay home! We have been on three different all inclusive trips to different parts of Mexico since Zara was born. Over the past 2 (almost 2) years of traveling with Zara I have learnt a thing or two about how to ‘do an all inclusive ‘ with a baby. Here are my tips:
- Get direct flights: Yes sometimes it’s cheaper to get connecting flights. And yes sometimes it doesn’t look that bad with an hour or two layover. Trust me when I say it is not worth it. We took one trip, where we had an hours stop over on a return flight. Zara was 9 months. It was pretty stressful. So keep things simple and say no layovers!
- Book a resort close to the airport: Out of the three all inclusive resorts we stayed at, the last one was 10 min from the airport. It made a huge difference. When we got to the resort we felt like we didn’t lose a day traveling. We were also able to have a pretty quick and smooth ride back to the airport on our return.
- Book a small resort: This is pretty crucial with kids. You don’t want to spend all your time walking to the beach or lunch and dinner. You just want to get there. You also want to be close enough so you can run to the room if you need anything.
- Kids club:This is a must have. The first two resorts we went to had kids clubs, but Zara was too young to go. The last resort had a kids club and babies club. I checked the ages and reviews before we went and parents raved about the care. Zara had a safe fun place to go for a couple of hours, so that mommy and daddy could relax on the beach.
- How to eat at the buffet– A lot of people complain about the food at all inclusive resorts. I have a tip for this. Go for the fresh grill stations. Every all inclusive resort I have been to has them. Also, do not be tempted to fill your plate with everything. Pick a couple of items. You are going to be there for at least a week so you don’t want to get bored with the food.
- Room with a view and patio: I have mentioned this in my previous post. Pay the extra money and get a room with a view. On the last trip we spent a lot of time hanging out on the patio with a cider/wine at the end of the night while Zara was sleeping.
I would love to hear what tips worked for you mommas on an all inclusive vacation. Please feel free to share my post and comment below.
Next week I will be doing a review of the all inclusive resort we stayed at on our last trip. Stay tuned!